Search This Blog

Monday 16 July 2012



          I dug up the weeds which were all the slugs and snails had left. They do not seem to like weeds, but find cabbage delicious. This put me in a moral dilemma since I promised not to kill stuff once, but since they're eating my cabbages, I've decided to let slip the dogs of war. So I dug up some of the weeds and planted the new cabbage plants the Domestic Bliss got somewhere, and have surrounded them with slug traps; plastic cups with Guinness in them. Drowning in Guinness, which they find even more delicious than cabbage, may they be reborn as Irishmen!

6 comments:

NaNoSkye said...

I've read that if you spray a weak solution of beer on the weeds the slugs will eat them first.

Haven't tried it yet. Good luck with the beer traps. I've done that and it is gross to clean them up.

Hotboy said...

Marie! Went up today to put down more beer traps and plant more seedlings only to discover that half of the leaves had been eaten off the plants I put in yesterday, so I put in more beer traps and sprinkled the ground with the blue stuff. Dearie me! Hotboy

NaNoSkye said...

The slugs and snails are winning this year my friend. What is needed is a long dry spell. Not likely.

Anonymous said...

I say!

An enjoyable way for the slugs to go. Why does the beer kill them? Is there a lesson in this for us all?

MM III

rob said...

If you end up using chemical weapons, you'd be as well buying from the supermarket, but at least this way you feel you're actually doing something.

Hotboy said...

Albert? They ate the chemical weapons and then ate the cabbages! Hotboy