Search This Blog

Thursday 19 August 2010

Book Festival and Jimmy Reid


Thursday 6:25 p.m.
                              The Domestic Bliss collected the bunch of flowers from the allotment last night. Marie Rex wrote the book which came on the same day the goji berry seeds arrived from Skye, yesterday.  Once I've got my own supply of goji berries, all I'll need to do is sit like a tortoise and walk like a sprightly pigeon to live to be 150 year old like Li Chng-yun
                             I was hoping that the consiglieri and Brian Wilson and moi might be able to go to this event in the Spiegeltent at the Book Festival on Sunday night. Wells Fargo Publishing are putting it on to help launch a book, and it's supposed to be for free, but I thought I'd better go up and check to see if you needed ticket anyway. You don't. It's Wells Fargo who are supposed to be publishing a book by me next year, but I've had no contact with Mark Buckland since we shook on it.
                             I went into the place where they sell the books and three authors were sitting waiting for someone to come up with a book to sign. No one did. One of the writers was Trevor Royle.
                             When I was working in the steelworks after leaving uni, I used to send near illegible carbon copies of  bits of Alma Mater to the Scottish Arts Council. Trevor Royle was the literary director then. Unfailingly, he sent me pleasant and encouraging replies even though the stuff I sent was really awful.
                             The last time I spoke to him was one lunchtime in the Bow Bar in 1989 when I was having a break from the rehearsals of a play of mine which was going to be on at the Traverse. He is a very nice man with a fantastically patrician voice.
                             I would have liked to have gone over and said hello to him today, but I'm really quite shy and didn't.
                             Jimmy Reid's memorial service was held in Glasgow today. Here's a bit of his address when he was made rector of Glasgow University in 1972.
                             Society and its prevailing sense of values leads to another form of alienation. It alienates some from humanity. It partially dehumanises some people, makes them insensitive, ruthless in their handling of fellow human beings, self-centred and grasping. The irony is, they are often considered normal and well adjusted. It is my sincere contention that anyone who can be totally adjusted to our society is in greater need of psychiatric analysis and treatment than anyone else.


                             The evil bourgeois are all going to hell, Jack. 


                              

9 comments:

Marie Rex said...

Wow, that is my book. Cool.

The flowers are wonderful. The seedlings I planted are about an inch and a half high.

The book festival sounds interesting, except I expect there are too many people there.

I've never really met anyone famous. But then I'm rarely shy, so it is best the world keeps me away from them.

Hotboy said...

Marie! I've met some people who were quite well known, but I'd just as soon not bother. The town is jam packed with people at the moment, but that's something I do like. Hotboy

rob said...

I was too shy to say much to Jimmy Reid when I sat beside him in a jazz bar in Byres Rd. Plus, it was too noisy. He was jazz fan, which is a rare thing but a great thing to be.

rob said...

PS. Marvellous posie tell the DB.

Hotboy said...

Albert? It doesn't look as if there's much growing in the allotment but weeds, but ... I'm surprised you never gave Jimmy Reid your take on dialectical materialism during the intermission. Hotboy

rob said...

I didn't have to. At that time, his take and mine were as similar as you can get when you're from opposite sides of the tracks. Of course, since then I emigrated from class struggle street, and JR probably modified his ideas too.

rob said...

PS - JR and I did talk a bit about the important stuff, the music.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I made a wonderful comment to you last comments and it disappeared when the connection failed. Computers! Hotboy

rob said...

That could have been the very comment that was going to trigger, via the butterfly effect, cataclysmic world events, and now we'll never know.