Search This Blog

Thursday 13 January 2011

Begging in the Beautiful, Wonderful city!

Thursday 10:00 p.m.
                               Whilst pissed!
                                There were no beggars in Bellshill. I didn't see anyone begging till I got to Edinburgh in 1969. They weren't beggars. They were tramps. Maybe tramps were there since the Road to Wigan Pier, and way before. I sat beside some tramps in the bit before the McEwan Hall, well before it was designed for skateboards, and was grassy, and asked this tramp how he got to be a tramp. Family breakdown, lost his house, etc.
                                 There were only a few around. Once after I was  panhandled by one in Buccheuch Place, this much scarier joe stopped me and said was he begging? A policeman!
                                  Before I went to Australia in 1989, there were no beggars in the streets here. One or two joes with problems, but no professional beggars. They had appeared in London, I think, due to the changes in social security inflicted on us by the fascist regime of Maggie, and the disappearance of social security for some people of a certain age.
                                  A year later, they were hanging around the art gallery on Princes Street with their disaffection and their dogs. These were our creation of fringe dwellers, not quite in our world and not quite out of it. They went away.
                                   A wee while ago, these youngish women started appearing on the streets. They all sit the same way. They all plead the same with their wee plastic cups, saying change please, give me change.
                                    Once you only saw our home grown beggars on Princes Street. Sometimes I would give them a few pennies, but usually not.
                                     I stopped that  when I was on the dole. The begging basturns were getting the same dole as me. This is a great country to be poor in. We have fought, sorry, not the evil bourgeois, but the working classes, have fought to get the dole in this country just as we fought for pensions and all that. We, or our antecedents, fought to get money when you didn't have work. So I'm on the social security in the 1970s and I don't feel bad about walking past the begging basturns, except there weren't many of them to walk passed in those days.
                                    Once I was in the airport near Amsterdam and this joe starts hustling me for money, and I say that I don't speak English. He says you're funging Scottish. And so I was. And so was he. The Scots have begged everywhere. Anyway, after I admitted this and gave him a few bob, he says you are not allowed to be homeless in the Netherlands. He's outraged by this. He says you have to have an address.
                                     Later on, I think this is a good idea, a brilliant idea. You have to have an address. This isn't so that the government can trace you. This is so you can get benefits. Even if your address is the local cop shop, you should have an address so that you can get some money. So every week you can go to the polis shop and get your money, so you are not left to starve on the streets. In the land of plenty, nobody should have to starve on the streets. This is civilisation.
                                     The apogee! Today, I'm going to the local library to find out about getting a bus pass because I will soon be sixty years old. I love this. Not just because it means that I will save about five hundred pounds a year on bus fares, but because this is communism. You should pay your taxes and all sorts of things should be for free.
                                      On the way there, I pass three youngish women of foreign origin, similarly dressed and poised, begging. I hate blanking beggars. It's an affront to me that there are beggars on the streets of this beautiful, wonderful city.
                                       Where are they from and who put them there? Who drops them and who picks them up, and who takes the money off them?
                                        If there are folk reduced to begging, there should be folk who's job it is to stop then being in that state. The polis should pick them up, the social workers should deal with them. It's a disgrace for this to be happening in a mature social democracy.
                                        Why isn't anyone bothered about this?
                                         Compassion and altruism, loving kindness, bliss and joy, heat and healing. Compassion and altruism is the basis of the path.
                                        I must apologise if anyone out there thinks I'm a buddhist. I'm interested in buddhism, but I'm the sole representative and single member of the Disbelieving Congregation. I am interested in buddhism, but I'm interested in a lot of other things as well. It's just that they are not as interesting as buddhism. Not my kind of buddhism.
                                        There should be no need to be a beggar. It's a failure of community. Of course, if you want to live on the streets, that should be okay. Here's my pitch. I've got my blanket and I can stand on my head and I do this a lot. I have a placard saying: Yogi Joe will meditate for you for ten minutes for a quid! Give me all your money! You evil, stupid basturns! Diogenes, ya bass!
                                    

15 comments:

Marie Rex said...

I have to tell you that there are few beggers here. That was one thing my recent trip to America showed me.

They are everywhere there, every age, families. People out in the cold, on the street. In a place of such wealth.

I wonder how you can enforce someone having to have an address, if they can't afford a place to live.

I've been homeless, lived in a car for 6 months. Took food boxes from the local church. But I never begged. I went into the employment office every single day looking for work.

But too many of the folks in America are ill or mentally ill and need more help than they are getting.

It is a shame that people are cold and hungry in places where people have so much they don't even care about.

Hotboy said...

Marie! Living in a car must have been tough! The beggars have begun to appear in Stockbridge over the last couple of years. It shames us all. I hate it. But whoever is organising these young foreign women should get the jail. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

chico caliente
good stuff! happy new year to ye an aw that.
there are beggars here, usually of the romanian variety tho this changes. one of the lases asked me to buy her baby nappies instead of giving her money cos she doesn´t get to keep the money. beggars make me feel sad, but buskers always give me a smile and there´s a few of them too. i´d do either if i had to....
loveandpeacexxx

Anonymous said...

I say!

Good to hear that there is at least one growth area in snowy Jockland.

Here in Malawi, beggars go round the Muslim shops on a Friday, and are usually succcessful in getting some donations. There is, of course, no dole here. Getting paid to do nothing is a dream of many.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Spango Yogini! Happy New Year! I like buskers! I wouldn't mind paying for food or nappies! That would be okay. I think these new beggars in Edinburgh must be organised by someone. I just think people shouldn't have to beg. Hotboy

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! No dole!! What kind of country is that? Is there food hanging off the trees and clothes and other stuff? I hope so. Hotboy

rob said...

Marie. If I had to live in America I'd be mentally I'll too.

rob said...

I'm with you on this. I make a point of supporting buskers except the tone deaf ones. I usually refuse beggars and anyone else who wants to sell me something. But I once refused a tough looking junkie, and for a few seconds he gave me the zombie stare that said there was a monster in there fighting the urge to belt me. Since then I'm prepared to pay off threatening beggars, call it fisticuff busking.

rob said...

When is sexual busking going to catch on? Maybe they do it already in somewhere like Amsterdam.

Marie Rex said...

Rob, that is why I don't live there any more and never want to again. America has become a terrifying place fully of angry, frightened and ill people.

rob said...

Marie. And with guns!

Hotboy said...

Albert? Yon desert where you live is full of truck drivers with guns and speed, and huge roads with giant trucks, and I wish I was one of them, so I do! With an independent income like from the Nazi gold. Give me the Nullabor, a gun, tent, and a dentist, and you'd never see me again! Hotboy

rob said...

A dentist and a carer.

Bowel Syndrome said...

Welcome to Capitalism!!

Hotboy said...

Bowely! My problem with capitalism at the moment is that I've no capital!! Or principle! Hotboy