Search This Blog

Monday 17 January 2011

Horizon again!

Monday 10:11 p.m.
                              Another wonderful Horizon programme this evening! What is reality? I love Horizon programmes about quantum physics and such. Also, I like the David Attenborough  (?) shows. Once I thought I would like to sit in my terminal bed watching David Attenborough shows, but now I think this is my terminal bed since I am so old, and I would like them interspersed with the Horizon programmes, especially the ones about reality, which is what the one was about this evening. Well, it was about perception. Immediately, the joe says that we should be able to walk through walls ...
                             The folk who have left this place to go and live with the cacti and the lizards, the places with all the money and no values ... well, yous don't have the BBC, which is run by public school boys and liberal joes from such, and is the bestest thing in the world. It really is.
Tuesday 11:40 p.m.
                            I watched the Horizon programme again. Einstein said to Niels Bohr: Are you telling me the moon isn't there when we don't look at it? Bohr replies: Can you prove that the moon is there if nobody is looking at it?
                            Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great, the moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass,or even in one drop of water.Zen Master Eihei Dogen
                            Brilliant bit of telly again!
                            "Quantum mechanics says I can walk through that wall. How often will it happen? Very rarely, but if I wait long enough, it will happen."
                            The same boy seems to think that reality is holographic. I think that means that the three dimensions idea is wrong somehow.
                            Of course, I can't understand this stuff, but neither can anyone else, it seems. Nobody can get their heads round it.
                             I like when they say the only way you can describe reality is through mathematics. I'm sure Pythagoras said something similar, as did Galileo as mentioned in the programme.
                             There's something bugging me about consciousness and  perception and emptiness, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
                               Here, Sariputra, form is emptiness and the very emptiness is form; emptiness does not differ from form, form does not differ from emptiness; whatever is form, that is emptiness, whatever is emptiness, that is form, the same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses and consciousness. Heart Sutra.
                              " The only thing that nihilism and the teaching of emptiness can be said to have in common is a sceptical outset. While nihilism concludes that reality is unknowable, that nothing exists, that nothing meaningful can be communicated about the world, the Buddhist notion of emptiness arrives at just the opposite, namely that ultimate reality is knowable, that there is a clear-cut ontological basis for phenomena, and that we can communicate and derive useful knowledge from it about the world. Emptiness (sunyata) must not be confused with nothingness. Emptiness is not non-existence and it is not non-reality."
                                Well, there it is.
                              Once I lost as sense of having an individual self when I had a wee experience of non-self and emptiness. Your self is in everything perceived, as if a consciousness was through and behind and supporting everything in flow.
                               Is that a quantum mechanical event, Jack? Being everywhere at once? There's something kind of miraculous about this quantum stuff, Hotboy.
                                            
                    

7 comments:

Marie Rex said...

I'd rather see you give up watching TV, than stop blogging.

Maybe instead of sitting on your bed melting your brain in front of the tube, use that time to write. Be a lot more useful.

People are only bored when they are lazy. I am never bored, I always have 6 more projects than I have time for. I am on occasion lazy and choose not to do much.

If you want to write, just write. I know you are a much better writer than I'll ever hope to be.

Hotboy said...

Marie! I get bored when the meditations aren't working so well ... because I've no fall back since I stopped writing to concentrate on the meditations. I need a bit more balance. I'm going to watch the Horizon programme again to see what Einstein said to Niels Bohr about the moon. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

So sorry to hear that you are now in your terminal bed. It happpens to everyone, eventually, of course.

I sincerely hope that not all of your senses have departed, and that you can at least manage to listen to the cricket whilst laying there.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Couldn't imagine any more incomprehensible way to see out the days!! Creekit on the radio! What will they think of next? Commentary on paint drying? Hotboy

rob said...

Those public school boys know how to run things, except perhaps the trains on time - that takes real Bavarianism.

rob said...

Fortinately the people here in NSC who run TV are all either useless or lazy, so they buy in the best UK stuff like Horizon and Attenbra.

Hotboy said...

Albert? It's programme making that the beeb should be good at. Documentaries, dramas, etc. Everybody else just recycles Hollywood or sticks cameras on the footie! Hotboy