Search This Blog

Friday 12 August 2011

Last Samye Ling Post!

Thursday 8:38 p.m.
                             I was still quite crabbit this morning and obsessing about the same stupid ideas, which I know are nonsense, but the situation turned round in the course of the morning.
                             The Guru Rinpoche Drupcho finished this morning. I do not know what drupcho is. There were about one hundred and fifty punters in the temple and most of them were reading the chants and whatnot, but I never do that and just sit there with my eyes closed for most of the time. Sometimes nuns give you things to eat, like biscuits, or pour a thimbleful of pink stuff into your palm.
                            In the two and a half hours of this in the morning everything gradually got better and better, and the nicotine edge to the thoughts dissipated, and new thoughts started to emerge. Towards the end, Dr Akong came round with the joe who I think will be the future abbot, and they handed out stuff, then Dr Akong came down the rows and blessed everyone individually.
                            It's not just the joe giving the blessing that counts. You've got to try to get your head right to take it properly.
                            I'm pretty sure Dr Akong is some kind of saint, and I'm pretty certain his brother is. Lama Yeshe wasn't attending the drupcho this year and that's a pity because the place always feels better to me when he's here. But he came in flanked by Teresa right at the end and sat up the back. Sometimes it just seems to beam out of the guy. I certainly don't go out of my way to crawl up his arse, but some cats got it and some cats aint. I doubt if I'll ever meet anyone quite as advanced in the juju as him. I almost spontaneously beamed with delight when I saw him come through the temple door. I think he might have a fan!
                            Dr Akong gave a wee talk at the end and I think he mentioned something about setting up retreats in a couple of years of three months or five months duration. I'd love to do one of them. I could get away with that. Don't see how I could get to do three or four years right now even if I wanted to. I think he also said they'd put about a hundred folk through the three or four year retreats. That's an amazing effect to have on the world.
                           I just feel so satisfied and happy to be here right now. It's always the same after three days. God alone knows how good you might feel once you'd been in retreat for a month or so.
                           The meditation I had just before I came out to the cafe was, well, I keep saying it, but it was better than ever. Effortless arisings of bliss with periferal heat just awaiting. I think at some point you might not be able to have more than cotton sheet over you at night due to the heat .... can't wait. Bring it on!!
                            I think I might be seeing Froggy McDuck tomorrow with his family, which would be great. Froggy is one of my favourite people and there won't be anything to smoke since I finished mine before coming here. Hurrah! No doubt we'll go to the pub and get steaming, which will be great. Anyway, I'm going to try and get the bus outside the gate at the back of ten tomorrow, so I don't think I'll be back here.
                            I might sit up tonight in the room and get into a wee bit of vase breathing, but I might just wallow in the bliss. I've given up trying.
                           
                           

5 comments:

NaNoSkye said...

Well it is bucketing down rain up here.

I hope you have better weather for traveling.

Try and watch out for that Dragon.

Hotboy said...

Marie! It's not raining just now anyway and I'm due on the bus in half an hour. I'll probably be drinking with my nephew tonight. I need more time away from people to make sure the Nicotine Dragon is back in the box! Hotboy

rob said...

You're being too hard on yourself. Even I don't think all your ideas are nonsense.

But I have to draw the line at "years of three months or five months duration". What a pity you don't wear a watch.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Turns out the retreats were refreshers for folk who'd already done the three and four year gigs. Pity. Hotboy

rob said...

Sounds like Albert's experience of uni, out of his depth.