Search This Blog

Saturday 9 July 2011

In the War Against the Machines Part 6

Hi Hazel!
              I was more than a little disappointed to discover that my pension lump sum had not been deposited in my current account yesterday, Friday 8th of July. I found this out while visiting my mother-in-law in Newmains. She does not have a computer. There is no Bank of Scotland branch in Newmains. Later in the morning I was contacted by my branch in Edinburgh since there had been an attempt to deposit over £28,000 into an ISA savings account which I did not even know I had since the last time I drew money from there was about four or five years ago. Anyway, it seems that you cannot deposit more than £5.000 into an ISA account in one year. I think this is why my bank tried to contact me.
              After several hours on the telephone to various helpful people in the telephone banking world, the lump sum was still not transferred to my current account by the time I was due to depart from Newmains for a weekend here at the Samye Ling Tibetan Centre in the Borders. Fortunately, I was able to borrow money to cover my expenses for this weekend.
              On Monday I will go to the branch of the Bank of Scotland which holds my accounts and will attempt to get access to my lump sum.
               I will contact you again about the demand I received for a salary overpayment of over £39 which I received when I was expecting at least two weeks wages at the end of June. You said you would suspend this overpayment until I received my first pension payment on the 15th.
               I will be very interested to see if I get any pension money on the 15th. At the moment, I wouldn't bet on it.
               I assume this is nobody's fault. If it is somebody fault, I know I will never be able to find out whose fault it is. I think it's probably my fault for getting a job with Edinburgh council in the first place.
                Hazel, you did ask me to inform you if I didn't get the lump sum by Friday. Well, there it is. No lump sum. Nothing but hassle after hassle after hassle. When I think that the government right now is complaining about public sector pensions, I ask myself what the hell have they got to complain about?
                I'll get back to you sometime on Monday when I hope I have better news.
                                             Yours in the Buddha,
                                                         Hotboy.

               I just sent this email. I had twenty eight grand in the bank supposedly on Friday and hadn't the money to buy a newspaper!! Somebody must have pressed the wrong clicky clicky thing, eh, Jack? Well, Hotboy, this is probably a karmic consequence of working in an education system for thirty years which, after at least eleven years of education, manages to send kids out into the world who cannot read, write or count. 
But it is not raining here and I will go down by the river for a bit of meditation!!
                 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

I reckon Mugabe has run off with your pension.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Just before David Cameron beat him to it! Hotboy

rob said...

Edinburgh Council used to employ Albert, if that helps.

NaNoSkye said...

The best part of this is that while the bank is having 'problems' with your lump sum, the money is in a holding account that is making interest for the bank. No you won't see any of it. You'll be lucky if it takes less than 3 months to clear it up. (I worked in banking for a while I'm a bit of a cynic about banks.)

Good luck.

Hotboy said...

Albert and Marie!! Edinburgh Council used to emply me as well, so what chance have I got. Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow! Hotboy p.s. What a wonderful place this is if you can meditate! Even if you can't. Someone told the Domestic Bliss that she thought the TM folk were asking abit much when saying you should meditate for twenty minutes a night as well as in the morning. I didn't say a word. Dearie me! pps. Normally, I don't speak to any strangers down here!

rob said...

For me the only perk of the revolution will be watching the bankers lined up against the wall, ahead of Albert.

rob said...

PS Merchant bankers first!