Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Meditation on Old Age!




Wednesday 8:50 p.m.
                                Losing track of the photies!! Only the second one down was taken today!

                                So the mother in law sits in her seat, and sometimes doses. Usually, she's trying to read a book. Every now and again, she makes the long, long trek to the toilet and back. Sometimes the BBC news channel is on, and sometimes it's not. I sit at the kitchen table reading a paper, or a book, but usually meditating. We talk sometimes, but not a lot.
                                What's happening to the mother in law is what happens to a person lucky enough to have good health all their life. They have a very long old age.
                                 I'm at the beginning of my old age and I'm looking at what will happen to me if I'm lucky enough to have good health. John Betjeman said there wasn't anything you enjoyed worth giving up for a few more years on the geriatric ward. Just as I was on the brink of giving everything up, this has come as a good reminder.
                                 She's still got the being awake and the being asleep. That's all. No bliss to sink into. Fortunately, she's kept her sweet nature. Most of the flatheids I know are going to end up right crabbit basturns, so they are! Aye, them that dies will be the lucky ones!
9:20 p.m. It's not my fault the photies are going wonky! It's them damn machines again!!

4 comments:

NaNoSkye said...

Great Pics. I like the purple flowers.

Glad to hear your mother in law is good natured. It sounds like she is in a peaceful place resting before a long journey.

My grandfather was like that, he lived to be over 100 and was ready to be done.

Hotboy said...

Marie! At least one of us is good natured! Great to be back in Edinburgh today! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

I expect that when I reach your age I'll be the same.

MM III

rob said...

I noticed right away that the green things were out of order. Wouldn't happen in Bavaria.

Doc Bob sees your retirement blog settling into a pattern. Photies of dirt and sky, balanced by stories of real life. He suggested trying the other way round. It would all balance up.