Search This Blog

Saturday 24 December 2011

Tapering off!

Christmas Morning 00:50 a.m.
                                             I bought two packets of Guinness today. For some time I've been going down to the Co-op and buying their very cheap plonko collapso, which I think is about ten times cheaper than it was thirty five years ago.
                            You don't know what it's like when it comes creeping up on you. And you have to remember what the old, toothless one told you about how the cheap, Australian plonko did for his chummy Jimbo, or his brother.
                            Tapering off is from The Iceman Cometh. The drunks, if I remember right, hang around in this special hotel bar where you can get a drink on a Sunday, and sometimes they stand up and declare this maybe. Tomorrow I'll start tapering off! The Iceman Cometh is a play by Eugene O' Neill and is the most wonderful play. I know that the few, fortunate flatheids who land on this bloggy do not meditate, but reading this play was one of the wonderful things I ever did. Great play.
                            Anyway, I switched this evening from drinking wine to drinking Guinness. 4.1%. You almost stay sober, especially when you have to talk to folk who are not drinking, or smoking, or anything like that.
                            It is, I think, six weeks now since I stopped smoking soapbar. It's been harder than it seemed. I love being stoned. Tomorrow the folk here will go away, and I will try just to sit.
                            Today the sitting was wonderful. I thought that today I could hold my hand up and say that what I had hoped was possible when I read The Bliss of Inner Fire had been achieved, even if it took me ten years. And so it did. Everything else is crap, but that thing has worked. I got it to work and it did not hurt me. I was a fortunate creature and took the blessings as well as I could, and tomorrow or the next day I will be sober, so I will.
                           I cannot describe the start of the day when I was doing the bliss, and all. I could tell yous what it was like when the flatheids intervened, but that's what you get anyway.
                           It's hot. It's blissful. Walk on!

6 comments:

rob said...

Two *packets* of Guiness? Did you perhaps mean Guiness-flavoured crisps?

NaNoSkye said...

Rob I think he means cases actually. They come in a box and could be confused as a packet....

I hope you have the quiet day you are hoping for.

Hotboy said...

Albert? And Marie! It's a cardboard box of Guinness with ten cans in it!! Hope everyone has a nice day today!!! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

I hope your Christmas braai goes well.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I've got six cans of Guinness left in the fridge for this evening. Little old wine drinker me!! Hotboy

rob said...

Thank goodness we clarified that.