Search This Blog

Friday 30 March 2012

Went Oot!









Friday 10.30 p.m.
                          The wummin who'd done the long time for doing her husband, the same wummin whose son is doing serious time for knifing her nine times, was sitting in the auld maw's kitchen when I arrived this afternoon. What a nice woman! Roll with the punches, eh?
                          I put on my leather jacket for the second or third time and went out tonight to this Neu Reekie thing that's held down the Royal Mile once a month. I haven't been for a couple of months since my visits there ... well, here comes another open grave. Tonight I went on my own and really enjoyed myself, but kind of still being on my own. I bought one bottle of beer and didn't drink it, just sat it there. I was sitting in my usual position, but nobody notices. I'm reading the Times in the dimmish light. The cannybliss yogurt is maybe coming on about now.
                         Then the animations started and then two students from the Edinburgh Art School showed up and showed animations they'd done in a day. That was great! Then the two poets. They keep putting on performance poets and they are all brilliant. I love these poetry readings. I think I'll just go there on my own in future, sit in the half lotus up the back with the broadsheet covering my legs in the dimmish light, and wait for the cannybliss yogurt to come on.
                         The forces that I will not be able to control were running around my torso by the time I left the Neu Reekie thing. I like the forces out of my control. The creepy crawly stuff in your torso is interesting, like getting another leg. Your attention keeps turning to it because it's kind of funny and comforting when you're out there on your ownio.
                         What I had been thinking was that you could go on a solitary retreat in the big city, just by being alone and doing everything by yourself. Like in a crowd. I don't think in a crowd an excuse me, and thank you, don't really count at not being on your own. It's making your way by manners, not ....
                          Loved being out in the beautiful, wonderful city.
                         

5 comments:

Hotboy said...

Are the trees surrendering? Some of them are. Hotboy

NaNoSkye said...

Sounds like a nice evening out.

Not sure I could do that with so many people around. I'm finding as I get older I tend to be allergic to large groups of people.

Hotboy said...

Marie! Groups like that don't worry me since I'm bound to be completely ignored. In Edinburgh there's not much chance of anybody speaking to you! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

The wicket in the last snap is definitely not level. I'd only bowl from the right end.

MM III

rob said...

Great trees and great variety. My next post should have some tree shots.

Thanks to the cellmate's planning processes I often end up travelling to strange cities alone. There are many advantages.

Albert says he used to know just how you feel, getting an extra leg in a crowd.