Search This Blog

Friday 24 September 2010

The Rumble in the Jungle!

Late!
       I  was with my chums and we had a caravanette and I think we were in Paris then when I saw the headline which said that Ali had won the Rumble in the Jungle. I've just watched it on youtube.
       So we all thought Ali might be dead at the end of the fight. Ali was thirty two years old and that was far too old then. George Foreman had already done the terrible dance of brain damage with Smokin Joe. He should have been given more credit.
       George Foreman hadn't fought more than two rounds for several years. Most folk who come to this bloggy have never done any physical jerks at all. They have not done the exhaustions. When the rounds go three, four, five, six ... if you haven't ever been there, you can't do it. Not when the boxing master is telling you you can't.
        I never saw the fight like that before. George Foreman was funged from round three. However, the body punches Ali took thereafter ... dearie me! On watching it again, I can't think why anyone was so surprised at the time. I'll have to watch it again.
        Actually, I started watching the Thrilla in Manila.
        Everything was better in those days. It was. Smokin Joe is just brilliant, so he is! You can see that he stayed in the gym.
        With the Vietnam War and such like, the satellites starting up and the teevee going eventually colour, what days they were. Why is everything like that crap now?
      

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

I believe that the stadium in which the Ali/Foreman bout took place is now rather destitute. What a shame.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! The Fight by Norman Mailer is a really good book about that fight. Anyway, the biffing is so wonderful and so awful at the same time. The Colosseum is pretty knackered as well so it doesn't just happen in the Bongo Bongo! I'm surprised these days they don't hold folk in it before shooty shootying them! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

the vietnam war was a far superior war to these modern fangled wars. in music at any rate. iraq war music? dont know. afghanistani music? dont know. those were the doors!

Hotboy said...

Anony! The Vietnam War had better teevee coverage! Every night on the evening news you could see folk getting blown to bits. They soon put a stop of all that nonsense when it put folk off the killing. Also, Harold Wilson refused to send our troops. Oh, how things have changed!!Hotboy

rob said...

I watched the Manila one again just last week. I didn't plan to, but when it comes on you can't look away. The only bit I can't stomach is when the non-combatant interviewees talk tough.

rob said...

PS did the Vietnam War have better drugs too?

Hotboy said...

Albert? There's a bit in Apocalypse Now when they're on acid. I would not want to be there!! Hotboy

rob said...

In Vietnam or on acid?

Hotboy said...

Albert? Not in that bit of the movie! It's the last scenario you'd want to be out of your face on acid! Hotboy p.s. I didn't appreciate how good that movie was when I saw it with you.

rob said...

Hotters. Whereas I thought I realised how bad it was. It all balances up. Maybe I should watch it again. Part of the problem was I read the reviews beforehand, which said things like - The best film ever ... Explains everything about everything.

Does that help?

Hotboy said...

Albert? I really, really liked it the third time I saw it. You must have asked me to go and see it because I'd never heard of it beforehand. As soon as the Doors came on, I must admit I did think it was going to be good. Hotboy

Hotboy said...

Albert?

ADRIAN MITCHELL
To Whom It May Concern
(Tell Me Lies about Vietnam)


I was run over by the truth one day.
Ever since the accident I've walked this way
So stick my legs in plaster
Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Heard the alarm clock screaming with pain,
Couldn't find myself so I went back to sleep again
So fill my ears with silver
Stick my legs in plaster
Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Every time I shut my eyes all I see is flames.
Made a marble phone book and I carved all the names
So coat my eyes with butter
Fill my ears with silver
Stick my legs in plaster
Tell me lies about Vietnam.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
So stuff my nose with garlic
Coat my eyes with butter
Fill my ears with silver
Stick my legs in plaster
Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Where were you at the time of the crime?
Down by the Cenotaph drinking slime
So chain my tongue with whisky
Stuff my nose with garlic
Coat my eyes with butter
Fill my ears with silver
Stick my legs in plaster
Tell me lies about Vietnam.

You put your bombers in, you put your conscience out,
You take the human being and you twist it all about
So scrub my skin with women
Chain my tongue with whisky
Stuff my nose with garlic
Coat my eyes with butter
Fill my ears with silver
Stick my legs in plaster
Tell me lies about Vietnam.

The poetry was better as well!! Hotboy p.s. I used this guy's name completely accidentally when I was writing to the Scotsman about this joe getting six months for some bob plants he was growing in his maw's council house. Turns out the joe who owned the name was a poet! Someone read this poem out at George Gunn's do on Saturday. Unfortunately, the poet has gone the way of all flesh!!

rob said...

I'm not much good with poetry, but even I could get something out of this.

PS nowadays we're in denial about most things, so maybe you could substitute just about any issue for Vietnam.

Hotboy said...

Albert? The boy added Iraq and Afghanistan to the poem according to the reading I heard before he snuffed it. Ditto with the poems though. But I did like this one!! Hotboy