Search This Blog

Saturday 18 June 2011

Faith of our fathers!



Saturday 7:45 p.m.
                            I was in St Mary's Cathedral last night since the Domestic Bliss was performing in the chorus backing Capella Nova who were singing plain chant and stuff like that. Catholic music mainly from way back when. This is a perfect event for me. It wasn't busy and I could sit in the half lotus and close my eyes. No one in a church is going to bat an eye if you've got yours closed! I read once that listening to classical music can effect your brains waves a bit like meditation .. but it you can concentrate you mind and just let the sound go through you. Heavenly it was. The tears were streaming down my face a good bit of the time. I don't know why that is. There was a time when I didn't cry for about twenty years, but these days I weep when I hear the French National Anthem!! Dearie me! It was brilliant though.
                          The catholics have the best music. No doubt about it. I was once in Nice cathedral and there was an orchestra and hundreds of folk in the choir. They were doing classical stuff like bits of masses, stuff like Mozart's Requiem. The ridiculous thing was that the mass all these things were written for is no longer performed. The Tridentine Rite was abandoned for some Methodist crap just when I stopped going back about 1968 or 1969. I think the Nazi Papa is a secret fan though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

African music is very nice.

MM III

rob said...

I say! It's bad enough the way the Catholics get the best everything. Why do they need to borrow Mozart as well?

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I thought it was all bongo bashing and playing one string guitars! Shows what I know!
Albert? Yeah, I would have thought he was a protestant myself, but some folk will do anything for money! Hotboy

rob said...

Gotta admire his optimism doing outreach work amongst the guilt based delusionals.