Search This Blog

Sunday 26 June 2011

In the War Against the Machines Part 5

Monday 12:15 a.m.
                              In order to be a writer these days apparently you have to spend hours and hours networking and enjoying the clicky clicky thing. This is nothing to do with writing, but something to do with self advertisement, and selling stuff on Kindle, and whatnot.
                              I am totally in favour of Kindle, by the way. Eventually, anything that's any good on these things will be stolen and all products will be free, and then the only people who write, because it will not be profitable, will be the folk who really want to write, or have that compulsion, and the people who want to write for money will all become chartered accountants instead.
                              If I was a young person and enjoyed the clicky clicky stuff as well as doing the writings, I'm sure I could make a go of this Kindle business. Because I think my stuff has some kind of value, at least to me. You could clicky clicky for about four hours a day and actually write for a couple of hours, and then the good stuff would rise to the surface because it would be free. The wonderful writings should be free. Did Julius Caesar expect to make any money out of the Gallic Wars? I do not think so, but what a great read that is!
                              So I think I should be making some kind of an effort with the clickiness, mainly because the consigliere has spent quite a bit of his valuable time on uploading this stuff, and I'm trying to do this tonight ... like tell someone to read one of my books on these thread things, and the fung Amazon monster tells me  it does not recognise me, and I can't do this unless I buy something. Well, I have done that, but would do it again, like buy something of my own since I will get 70% back anyway, and the giant monster corporation tells me that I do not have a device registered, even although I have just tried to buy this crap using this device.
                             And another nineteen year old kid has been arrested for being an autistic joe who only opens his door to let his mother hand in the take aways, and he's looking for .... is it more wee green men on the Pentagon computery shite things? Something like that.
                              I started reading books again when I was in Newmains where there are no beepy beepy things, and computery crap to steal your life away. I only got to the second chapter of Giovanni's Room. Smoke pot, read books, and throw all this computery beep beep shite into the bin!!! There is no peace. No calm. Well, everyone has a bit of autism, I suppose. Ars longa vita brevis!

7 comments:

NaNoSkye said...

I believe that if you do what you love the rest will follow. But that has to be the true reason. Not just as a means to be rich.

I'm glad you are getting more time to read.

Hotboy said...

Marie! I've just sent the amazon folk an email asking for assistance. They were very good before. Just such a nuisance. Hotboy p.s. Overcast here this morning, but the meditations are going brilliantly. Hope to do some work on the allotment today! And I don't expect to make any money from my books. Just trying to go through the motions!

Anonymous said...

I say!

Writing books is a form of communication, and, for better or worse, communication systems have changed radically over the past decade.

A long time ago, it was possible for authors to concentrate only on their book writing, and to leave everything else to others.

Nowadays, people who read books often enjoy the possibility of engaging with the author, either directly or indirectly, through various media (a blog, a book signing, a launch, Twitter, Flickr, reviews, opinions, magazine articles, etc).

We now live in a networked world, where information is increasingly linked.

Personally, I think this is for the good, and should be regarded as being part of the normal creative process.

An author can also learn much from relatively open dialogue with his/her audience. Perhaps even the phone-numbers of gorgeous readers.

Books can no longer be thought of as the only end-product (and 'product' they most certainly are) of the writing process.

I say - isn't it amazing what onne can come up with before the first MGT of the day?

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Everybody's trying to get into the act! Thank god I got out of writing just before the beep beepy folk screwed it up completely. Hotboy

rob said...

Apols, have been MIA due to being one of the folk who actually do stuff.

PS Everyone actually has a little bit of everything.

Hotboy said...

MIA? What is that? Is it a disease? Hotboy

rob said...

I was just picking up on your war metaphor. Missing In Action. If there was cannon fodder amongst your umpteen siblings, you'd know that.