Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Milarepa and the nettles!



Wednesday 6:45 p.m.
                                 The first two photies were taken at the bus stop this morning. The photie of Stewart Melville's was taken on my way home on Monday afternoon.
                                  Here's a bit of the Life of Milarepa. Translated by Lobsang P. Lhalungpa.
                                  These hunters show up at his cave and they want to get some food off him. He says he hasn't got anything good for them, so they say they'll eat what he eats.
                                   'Very well, make a fire and cook some nettles.'
                                    When they had made the fire and cooked the nettles, they asked for meat.
                                     I replied, 'If I had some meat, my food would be nourishing. I have not had any for many years. Use more nettles instead.'
                                      'Then we want bones.'
                                      'If I had bones, my food would not be so tasteless. I have done without them for years. Just use more nettles.'
                                      'But we cannot do without salt.'
                                      'Use the nettles as salt.'

                                       It's a dead interesting book!! I found that dialogue really funny, almost Pythonesque. Of course, the Buddha advised against severe asceticism. He probably advised against murdering tens of folk as well!

                                       The weather is now very cold. I have to get to Liberton Hospital tomorrow and, hopefully, Bellshill on Friday, probably Newmains on Sunday. Oh well! God preserve us from the flatheids!!
                            

4 comments:

rob said...

Hotters. You should get your people to set you up with a free photo blog at

www.photoblog.com

It's like a blogging community, but for pictures. Some of your photies are at least as interesting as some of the stuff there.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I don't notice the photies. The only distinctive thing about them is the camera isny very good, I don't imagine. But I'm not going to clicky clicky at anything I don't have to. Hotboy p.s. The cold is great, by the way. Very stimulating in small doses! Try sticking your head in the beer fridge. Dearie me! You won't have one! Oh well, just imagine it then.

rob said...

I do have an alcohol-free beer fridge. Thanks for the advice, but if I had to do that with every overheated appendage it'd be a full time job.

The sprinkler idea would water the garden at the same time. It all balances up.

Hotboy said...

Albert? An alcohol free beer fridge? Something new every day! Hotboy