Search This Blog

Sunday 12 December 2010

Sunday update!





Sunday 7:30 p.m.
                           I stopped wallowing with The Beer Monster on Thursday and rejoined in the dance of death with The Nicotine Dragon. I don't really understand this switch of addictions. As soon as something to smoke appears, all interest in the Beer Monster just goes!
                          It's almost starting to thaw. After two weeks of the weather disrupting everything, I've almost settled into the meditations! Since I got off from the jobbie on Wednesday I've done nothing much except speak to our friend in Liberton Hospital on Thursday and be entertained by the pizzaman on Thursday evening. Thereafter I've just been loving the absorptions. Also, since I've not been drinking and some expected appointments were cancelled, I was able to sit up meditating after midnight. This evening I sat in the hut from four till six. It's freezing up again. Send the snow through the night, lordy, lordy! Send the snow!!

13 comments:

Marie Rex said...

Nice pics. Please stop wishing for sn*w. I can't stand it.

I got lucky and hit a break in the weather that allowed me to get home, but it was a long drive.

I did some walking meditation among giant redwood trees. That was amazing.

Hotboy said...

Marie! It is not snowing here qnd I don't like Monday mornings. I wouldn't be here if they weren't giving me money, which is all wrong! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Scottish men and women are more likely to have drunk more than twice the recommended daily benchmarks than those in England. Men living in Scotland were more likely than those living in England to have consumed more than eight units of alcohol on at least one day the previous week (24% compared with 20%). Similarly, women in Scotland were more likely to have consumed more than six units on any one day during the previous week (12% compared with 8%).
[General Household Survey 1998, ONS]

Anonymous said...

UK average consumption is less than that of France but more than the United States. In 1997, the UK consumed 7.5 litres per head of 100% alcohol, the USA 6.6 and France 11.5.

Anonymous said...

UK alcohol consumption has remained steady over the past 20 years. UK population consumption rose during the 1960s (4.7 litres per head of total population of 100% alcohol in 1965) and early 70s but has remained relatively constant since then (7.8 litres per capita in 1998), see Graph 1 below.

rob said...

Re the addictions elbowing each other out of the way. In the days when sexual addiction was an option, that probably took precedence over all the others.

rob said...

Unfortunately it's all balancing up now. The next addiction to drop out of the race depends on which organ gives out next.

Hotboy said...

Anony! Thank God I've given up drinking then! Maybe Scottishy folk are more sensitive to the horrors of life and that's why they get pissed all the time! Just an idea! Hotboy

Hotboy said...

Albert? Thank God now that all our teeth have fallen out we don't have to be addicted to all that malarkey anymore. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

Mrs M reckons that Thesiger's accent on this wireless show is exactly the same as my own.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Well, he is a chap! Hotboy p.s. He can't still be alive!

rob said...

Doc Bob tells me that addiction has a life if it's own, independent of the substance. For instance, my addictive personality persists even after I've beaten the nicotine and alcohol dragons. It simply finds a new focus, in my case currently tea and consumer electronics. The trick I suppose is to find a way to still the desire in the first place. You might find meditation a help.

Hotboy said...

Albert? The Dhammapada says you have to remove the barbs of desire. Tough gig that!! I think meditating on emptiness might help. Maybe you've always got to want something in this realm of desire. Best to want ra bliss!! Less of everything else gets you more of ra bliss!! Hotboy