Search This Blog

Thursday 16 December 2010

Milarepa


Thursday 10:25 p.m.
                               I've been finding the re-reading of The Life of Milarepa very inspiring. It is a wonderful book!!
                               'The nature of samsara is such that wealth which has been accumulated is dispersed, houses that have been built are destroyed, unions are broken, and all that is born must die. Since inevitably one suffers for one's acts, one must abandon worldly aims and give up accumulating, building and uniting. The best remedy is to realise the ultimate truth of reality under the direction of an enlightened lama.'
                              I'm getting better at the guru yoga, and have been since the lama went into the seven week darkness retreat the summer before last, but I'm still rubbish at it. I've got a lot of pride and arrogance and such like to deal with. If I manage to see him in February, I'm going to expect a hard time, like I had the last time. Milarepa had to build three or four towers with his bare hands and had to tear them down again, and put the stones back where he found them. That was before he even got initiated. I'll ask him if it would be good for me to learn the 100 syllable mantra during the week, and I think he might say that I should. And he might tell me to stop using the two mantras I do use, and lots of stuff like that. And I'm going to have to take his advice.
                            I got pissed last night and so started slowly today. The first meditation wasn't till ten and it was really wonderful. Then I did the hundred prostrations and went to Liberton Hospital. The meditation I just finished before coming to do this was really wonderful as well. I know I always say this, but they really do keep getting better and better. Even although I'm still a disgrace!!
                           Where's all this leading to, Jack? If you don't know, there's no point in asking me, Hotboy! I guess it's going where it's going.
                            I took the photie of the castle on the way to the hospital.

9 comments:

rob said...

Get your technical people to put together a compilation of your best castle shots.

Marie Rex said...

Beautiful pic of the castle.

I'm looking out my windows to sn*w. I've put out extra food for the little birds.

Good day to stay in with a book.

Hotboy said...

Albert? You're my technical people! Most people I know are idiots who barely managed to get through a humanities degree!! Hotboy
Marie! The snow isn't here yet. I'm on the train today, so I hope it stays off. The wrong kind of snow really upsets the train folk! Hotboy p.s. How did the novel go this time?

Marie Rex said...

This was a hard novel for me. I'll reread it in Jan and see if I'll finish it or leave it on the flash drive to gather virtual dust.

Hotboy said...

Marie! I still haven't read the other one, but I do mean to get round to it when I can find time! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

Does The Life of Milarepa have a happy ending, or should I stick with Disney?

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! It has the most amazing ending. The ending is the best bit! It's a bit like Disney as well with the magical realism. But I don't think you'll find a copy in the Bongo Bongo! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

your blog schizophrenic!

Hotboy said...

Anony! You drunk!! Hotboy