Search This Blog

Sunday 12 December 2010

Milarepa



Sunday 7:00 p.m.
                          Not much point really in posting bits out of the Life of Milarepa for the too dumb to meditate, but sensei and reverend meditates, and this is for my dharma brother who's probably too busy reading Japanese sutras to spend time on this malarkey. But if you only read one book about Tibetan buddhism, the Life's got to be it!

                          Some hunters came by his cave and started giving him a hard time, picking him up and dropping him, etc. Then they left.
                          'Although I did not think of using sorcery, they eventually received retribution at the hands of my guardian deities. The regional chief punished the hunters.The leader was killed, and all the others had their eyes torn out, with the exception of the one who had said, 'Do not harm the hermit!''
                         Meditators, ya bass!
                         He gets enlightened much like the buddha. He gets fed ...'beer and food had completed the process.' (Free beer for the workers!)
                         'I understood that in general all things related to samsara and nirvana are interdependent. Furthermore I perceived that the source of consciousness in neutral. Samsara is the result of a wrong point of view. Nirvana is realised through perfect awareness.'
                          'During the day I had the sensation of being able to change my body at will and of levitating through space and of performing miracles. At night in my dreams I could freely and without obstacles explore the entire universe from one end to the other. And, transforming myself into hundreds of different material and spiritual bodies, I visited all the buddha realms and listened to the teaching there.'

                          This is my favourite bit!!
                          'Whoever wholeheartedly believes in karma and dreads the suffering of the lower realms, a great longing for illumination will arise in him. This will lead him to devote himself to a lama, to meditation, and to maintaining a deeper insight. It is possible for every ordinary man to persevere as I have done. To consider a man of such perseverance as an incarnation of a Buddha or as a Bodhisattva is a sign of not believing in the short path.'
                          Well, there it is!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Milarepa too, of course.

rob said...

It's hard to know where to begin, so I'll just say this is a very nice post.

Hotboy said...

Albert? You begin by being a flatheid. Most folk don't get any further than the beginning. Hotboy

rob said...

No need to "dread the suffering of the lower realms". At your age your lower realms are the least of your worries.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Au contraire! In any case, my problem is that I don't believe in anything ... lower realms, upper realms ... if I did, I'd maybe put in more effort!! Hotboy p.s. This does not mean that I don't think you and the other sweetie eaters are bound for hell! Of course, you are!!

rob said...

You're saying, if you believed the bliss theology you'd spend even more time in blissage? When would you find time to go to the toilet?

Hotboy said...

Albert? Over the last wee while, I've only been doing about six hours a day! There's plenty of time left. What do you flatheids do with your time? I used to write books and exercise. Do you guys just go into the cupboards and switch yourselves off? Not very productive anyway. Dearie me! Hotboy p.s. Of course, you read computer manuals!!