Search This Blog

Saturday 23 October 2010

Cormac McCarthy!

Sunday 00:30 a.m.
                            After some beers, but not as much as last night!
                            I've become a huge fan of Cormac McCarthy. I've just watched No Country for Old Men, and I think this is the worst thing by him I've ever read. I think it started off as a screenplay, and then became a novel, and then got made into a film. It's nothing like as great as All the Pretty Horses, the first part of the Borders Trilogy. The Mexican jail scenes in that are amongst the best things I've ever read. I could have fell back and died after reading that section of the book, I was so impressed. I'm waiting to stop drinking so I can read the next two bits of the Borders Trilogy, but I don't expect them to be as good as the first one.
                          He's like Ernest Hemingway with a wee bit of poetry. Almost nobody can stand beside Ernest Hemingway, and you can say that Cormac McCarthy is too mannered, and all that, but I found watching the movie this evening to be inspirational.
                           That's what you need! Inspirational writings!
                            Tommy Lee Jones is the sheriff in the movie. He looks just like the janny of the school I wrote about in RaBlissBook. Except the janny had better dead eyes. He'd been in the SAS. I was fond of him and if that book ever gets published, which it won't, I'll dedicate it to him. He died two years after he retired.
                          I don't like the first draft stage since my writings at this point are so poor. But I will persevere. I will remember that the end result is produced by writing it seventeen times in longhand, like Christopher Isherwood did with his first, wonderful novel. Great to have been inspired by Cormac McCarthy. His people must have come from Northern Ireland to have a moniker like that. Probably not tims either. He's replaced Arthur Miller (R.I.P.) as my favourite American. If I ever have any money again and can go to America, I'll try to see him (he'll drink whisky!) and the sensei!
                         Writing is great. You shouldn't despair because you are crap at it, or nobody wants to publish you, or anything like that. Reading great writers is very inpirational. They've all had their dog food years, and their baked bean years, and even when someone gives them money, they should tell them to fung off!

4 comments:

rob said...

I saw that film too. Heart attack material. The cellmate refused to watch it because she had read the book.

I want to see The Road, now I've read it.

I liked Miller ever since I saw the play he wrote about Monroe and him.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I'm not wanting to see The Road since I read the book!! Dearie me! I've been a huge Arthur Miller fan since I read his complete works when I started trying to write plays. You should read Timebends, his autobiography. Very good indeed! Hotboy

rob said...

They've got Timebends in the library up the road. It's on my list. It must feel strange now somebody's actually taken advice from this blog.

Hotboy said...

Albert? You're all going to hell. See if I care! Hotboy