Search This Blog

Saturday 30 October 2010

Gerard Kelly

Saturday 6:50 p.m.
                            Shame to hear that the actor Gerard Kelly had passed away. Only fifty one. Dearie me. I didn't know him at all, but I met him when he had the main role in my first radio play, The Marijuana Kid. This was in 1982, I think, so he must have been only twenty three then. I think it was the first radio he'd done. He must have been not long out of drama school. But he was a stand out.
                             The other men in the cast were Phil McCall, Gerry Slavin, John Grieve, and Tony Roper. There was a wee part for a woman, but I can't remember her name. But that was some cast to have and Gerard Kelly was like a firecracker among them. Bags of energy and up for having a laugh. He was really enjoying doing the part. Since it was my first experience in radio, I didn't realise how good he was.
                             That play, had to be the first one of course, was the most successful really. It helps if you've no idea what you are doing. It was broadcast on Radio Scotland, and on Radio 4 twice, and on the World Service. Part of this was due to the great performance he put in as the amateur boxer. I never saw him in pantomime, but he must have been a godsend.
                              I should really go and listen to a recording of the play again. Be an excuse. I'd have to get drunk. I haven't listened to it for over twenty years. I think the last time I did, I put it on the stereo and put out the lights and lay on the floor of the darkened room with the volume way, way up. A lot of the play takes place in a working men's club so there was a lot of party-like background noise. The doorbell rang. I opened the door to see the two polis standing there. They'd heard the 'party' from the street and came to ask me to keep the noise down. I said there was no party here, though I was in my underwear. They looked puzzled. There was a party in this flat without any people at it. It's a radio play, I said. I'm the author.
                            

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard. That's horribly sad news.

Hotboy said...

Doggy! It's like the Somme out there!Makes me want to practise more! Hotboy

rob said...

Kellly would have been well suited to that play. I saw the read-through or whatever you people call it.

Kelly was good to watch, even in dodgy sitcoms.

I think Tony Roper died a while back. And the great John Grieve must be deid by now. Was it something you put in the script?

The story re the cops coming up would be preposterous if it was fiction.

Hotboy said...

Albert? You did not see the script of yon play. You are a terrible liar. You should have been a welshman. Tony Roper is the only one of them alive, apart from the wummin who was married to the guy who became head of the Comedy Unit in Glasgow, who read a short story of mine on the radio, and who's name has slipped my mind. It must be the dementia! Hotboy

rob said...

Hotters. That's not the only thing you forgot. You invited Denny and me to the Lyceum to see TKM. We had drinks in the Shakespeare after. Denny bought our round, and on the way home said "they were awfy nice people".

You see? Perfect recall! That's what clean living does for you.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I cannot remember you coming to any of those readings!! Anyway, the Marijuana Kid wasn't read in public. You might have come to see Busted or one of the other scripts I had workshopped. But not the Marijuana Kid. Hotboy p.s. at least it would have been cheap!!

Hotboy said...

Albert? Only one round bought between the two of you? Did you have susperella as usual? Hotboy p.s. Was Denny the strapping one you were seeing when you got the black spot?

rob said...

Hotters. You may be right about it being Busted. See - you still have some memory cells! It all balances up. Was there marijuana in that script too? Deceptive advertising. Writers should be like composers - McKenzie's Ninth Book, McKenzie's Play Opus 3, etc.

You haven't been paying attention. Denny was ... oh why bother? Remember her however you prefer, she's deid anyway. She bought her round, that's all you need to know. I suppose if I can confuse the fruits of your labours, you can confuse the labours of my loins. It all balances up.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Sorry to hear about yon strapping lassie being deid! Is there anyone left alive out there? Hotboy

rob said...

Hotters. The strapper's alive and well, it's the slapper who's deid, god rest her lovely soul and all her other bits.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Don't think I met the slapper, but the great strapping one would have been good to have on the farm with all the heavy lifting and whatnot. Hotboy

rob said...

Hotters, I know you're just winding me up, but here goes anyway. You met them both (slapper at Lyceum).

Hotboy said...

Albert? The big strapping one was up in my kitchen one day! You need to post a photie of the slapper. Was it her who ruined you back? Just wondering. HOtboy

rob said...

If I had kept her on, my back would have had a regular workout, along with other parts. But she would have emptied my brain and my gold reserves. It all balances up.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Mayhaps you have some issues here? Hotboy p.s. The big strapping one was well imposing! I remember her!Did she pack you in because you were dying, or, no, yous hung around together to see if you survived. You are a right piece of work, Albert, and will go to hell for sure. She would have done anyone's back in. You should have got your act together with her. Did she marry a farmer? Hotboy

Hotboy said...

How did she die? Hotboy May she rest in peace. Requiem Cantin Pace

Hotboy said...

Requiescat in pace. Sorry. It's being from Bellshill. Hearing it. Hotboy

rob said...

Drink, drugs and depressive psychosis. Plus heavy duty bliss medication. I met someone who works at the AD and remembers seeing "suicidal" on her file. There's more to the story, but I need to keep something back for the trouser blog.

PS - Issues? Moi?

Hotboy said...

Albert? Some guys have all the luck!It's your own fault for being a sex fiend! Hotboy

rob said...

Sex fiend. That's a quaint old expression, now that every man and his dog has got in on the act.

Hotboy said...

Albert? She does sound like a promiscuous person after all, but I don't think you can call her a slapper just because she likes dogs. I think you might have one yourself. Hotboy

rob said...

Hotters. I have never regarded promiscuous/slapper as terms of abuse. Au contraire.