Search This Blog

Sunday 3 October 2010

Cyclista!!

Sunday Noon
                     I didn't get wet on the way to Haymarket station on Friday morning. It started raining just as I got to the station. Then when I got off at Shotts, it was raining alright. But I've got on a cyclist's hat and a bright yellow rainproof jacket and the Nazi bike, so fung the rain. You can get into the rain. And you make an effort in the rain. It pushes you on.
                     Changed and got the stuff up to dry in the good mother's house. Two hours of intense wonderful bliss out of the three I spent there. That granny asked if I wanted the bike seat wiped dry as I was leaving there and I said there was no point since I'd be soaking in five minutes anyway.
                      It was windy with the gusts of drenching rain. You were connected more firmly to the air and the roiling clouds. I'm fit enough now to try really hard all the way from Newmains to Bellshill and bikes are fun. The four big roundabouts are fun. I made one poor motorist screech to a halt, just one. I felt as if hoisting the black flag of anarchism. There were no other bikes. Only a loony would be out cycling in that. And oh how I loved it! I felt totally exhilerated. It could have been completely miserable, but due to the synchronicity of certain causes and conditions, it wasn't.
                       It was sitting in the kitchen on Friday night was three folk I've known for over forty years. My friend from the Wild West was treated to my meal last night. Boiled tattties, fried with onions, a wee bit of fried chard, and lots of salt and tomato sauce. People don't know what to make of me sometimes. Neither do I. Yesterday, I discovered I'm a vegan. I'd rather be a Jedi warrior, or a Vulcan.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

A couple of cyclists passed by Kalimbuka the other day on their way, eventually, to Cape Town. Long way, that is. They started in Cairo as well.

Have you thought of cycling through Africa?

MM III

rob said...

I've occasionally enjoyed rain but not combined with cycling. Your positive experience is proof of the power of the mind. Maybe you're on to something with this bliss business.

Was TO'B one of the weegie pals?

Jedi warrior might involve actually doing stuff. Vulcans are supremely rational. Have you considered Hobbitry? You've already tried jabber in the hut.

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I was just thinking of cycling through Africa the other day. I'd need sponsorhsip of course. I mean, who do I know who lives in Efrica? Hotboy

Marie Rex said...

I like being out in the rain, but I'm not a good cyclist. I'm happy enough to walk in the rain and do it often. If I didn't I'd never go out.

Never worry about things that wash or dry, especially myself.

My auld granny used to say "The good Lord made the world in all weathers. Get out and enjoy it."

I figured she was just trying to get me out from underfoot. But the world is beautiful in all weathers.

Hotboy said...

Marie! I was sure almost everything was projection until I couldn't put butter on my toast any more! Hotboy