Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Books and stuff!




Wednesday 6:15 p.m.
                                 There are now four full days from tomorrow before I go back to the jobbie. This is wonderful!
                                 The men were papering the wall so I had to go and sit in the hut. I would have went there this afternoon anyway, but it didn't feel like volunteering. Then I went a walk round the Botanics and took the snaps.
                                 The pile of books are the ones which had to be saved. We've got a cupboard which is used solely for storing old books and it's never opened. I wanted it and all the books thrown out. I put them in black plastic bags and didn't look at them. The Domestic Bliss went through them and this pile is what we have to save. I kept three books.
                                  One was The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. This might be the most boring history book ever written, but I read it to the Domestic Bliss during the heavy drug intermissions when she was in labour. I also set aside Cellini's Autobiography because I remember delighting in it so much. I can't remember what the last very important book was, but it might have been the Holy Bible. I wouldn't mind keeping the books if I could throw out the cupboard.

17 comments:

MM III said...

I say!

I expect The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is extremely popular in the ante-natal clinics.

MM III

rob said...

Enjoyed the photie of librarianism blissheid style. Ditch the bible for goodness sake and keep one of the remaindered Are You Boys Cyclists. It might be worth something one day. PS reading yon book to DB in labour - you couldn't make that up. I wonder how it affected the kid.

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I couldn't finish it. Now, I remember the last important book was the Mass Psychology of Fascism by Wilhelm Reich. I know you've never heard of him, but he was famous, famous long ago for playing the electric violin on Desolation Row. Great book, but the worst translation ever. I couldn't finish it. It was worse than Das Capital. But it was a revolutionary attempt to explain why some folk don't vote and hate politicians and throw their lollipop pole through the windows of multi-nationals. Ante-natal clinics love it! Hotboy p.s. Pearls before swine, so it is.

Anonymous said...

the age of paper books is soon to become obsolete, unless the book itself has some intrinsic value (first edition etc.) or is not available digitally/out of print then keep the book! Otherwise you will never read the book again, which with most books is true, so its best to give them to the charity people and get a kindle or download the text for from from das internet!

Hotboy said...

Anony! I couldn't agree more! Burn the buggers! Hotboy

Marie Rex said...

I hope the books found their way to a local library. That is where I sort mine too.

Wonderful pics, nice to see spring is actually happening.

Hotboy said...

Marie! There's a charity bookshop downstairs! I'm loving the change of seasons! Hotboy

MM III said...

I say!

I would suggest that you gave the books to Book Aid International, but we don't want the Developing Countries to becomme corrupted, do we.

MM III

Kohime said...

Hotboy - I expect that when you get as old as you, watching the seasons change is about as exciting as it gets.

Kohime

Hotboy said...

Gengis! I am as old as me! Hotboy

Ivan Chemitchu said...

Богд Хан умер, когда ему было пятьдесят один

Mikhail Yminog said...

Ivan. Богд Хан является тавтологией

Anonymous said...

You know you are getting old when things like daffodils have any sort of interest to your everyday experiences. Not that its a bad thing!

Bowel Syndrome said...

Hotboy! You seem to be attracting a Russian crowd around here. Must be all this talk of Das Kapital

Богд said...

Mikhail,

Является ли тавтологией общего с анальным удержания?

Богд

John McKenzie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mikhail said...

Bora Bora. I'm not the expert on that.