Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Scanning Whitelight






Tuesday 9:25 p.m.
                            I started scanning the Whitelight book on Sunday. This is for Kindle. I don't have a digital copy. So I started scanning by failing to get the bloody thing to work. I thought it would be easy since I scanned all the other books on this scanner about six years ago and all it seemed to need was a new cable, which the consigliere got for me, and .... I couldn't get it to work. Day one of the nicotine withdrawals as well. After an hour and a half of trying to get the scanner to scan, I did get it to work, and spent some time scanning the first eighty pages.
                            I did the word processing on most of these pages over the last two days and went back to scan the rest of the book, but the scanner isn't working. There's a different reason for it not working just now. Before I didn't know what to do with the type of scan I was making (it took an hour and a half to realise I should be copying the text and pasting it!!), but this time it's not scanning at all.
                            It took a while to realise when the Domestic Bliss moved it (why?), it had become unconnected to the mains!!! Then it just wouldn't scan. So I uninstalled it and re-installed it and it still isn't working.
                            I started scanning about an hour and a half ago, and have scanned bugger all!
                            I hate machinery. I don't have a car. I never want to have a car. The Whitelight book was written on a manual typewriter. Wonderful, wonderful pieces of engineering are manual typewriters.

                            What did you think of the book, Hotboy? Well, that's the first time I've had to read it for some time, Jack. Lots and lots of adjectives. And suddenlys. I wrote it after writing two books and my chummies told me I should be writing something with a plot, so it was an attempt to do that, write something with pace that makes you want to keep reading it. Well, it does that. Actually, it was quite successful for me really. Hardback and paperback and I adapted it for a Monday Night Theatre on Radio 4. I just wish I could get the bloody scanner to work!
                            By Thursday night I would have been able to give it to the consigliere to upload onto Kindle and then I wouldn't have had to look at it ever again.
                            Normally, I haven't been attending to the writing business, and that's been fine. I want to spend as much time meditating as I can. I'm retired from the writing business as soon as I get all these books onto Kindle. I hate having all this crap on my mind.
                           Take me to the hut, Jack! Take me to the hut!
                          

9 comments:

MM III said...

I say!

Give it a good old wallop. Always works.

MM III

Marie Rex said...

I do ok with scanners, but fax machines hate me.

Have you considered actually reading the instructions on the scanner?

Hope you get it sorted. All my books are written on computers and stored quietly on little flash drives.

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! That only works with childcare!
Marie! I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance a long time ago, but I was the guy whose bike broke down. Machines frustrate me! Hotboy

Bowel Syndrome said...

You where born into a bad decade technology-wise, a substantial amount of people of your age are terrible with electronic gadgetry! People born in the 80s were subjected to it to a certain degree then the 90s it was everywhere. You can do a lot more with an electronic device than with a mechanical one although they are more prone to breaking with less obvious fixes so I suppose it all equals out.

Hotboy said...

Bowely! I knew I wasn't made for maths when the teacher said I should enjoy solving problems. I could solve maths problems alright, but thought it was a bore. The computery crap makes everyone a tinkerer. I hate it. I want things to do what I want. I don't want to know them inside out and I don't want to know how to fix them. I think things like that are the preserve of properly trained and well paid members of the working class. Also, folk like Albert who could fix stuff pretend they can't speak English as soon as you mention your wee problem. I've written two books about other 'civilisations' and both were pre-industrial. I wonder why. Hotboy

rob said...

Hotters. A consultant friend, when asked for medical advice, always says "take 2 aspirins and see your doctor". It's impressive you've had even partial success with a scanner. I hate having to correct all the words they mis-recognize. Better to just type the whole thing yourself.

Bowelsin, I think you're saying it all balances up.

MM III said...

I say!

Menzies II used to say that typewriters were a modern aberration. It all depends on one's frame of mind. Some people can handle the modern world, and some people can't.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin! And Albert? Never in human history have ordinary folk been expected to fix crap like this. It's a liberty, so it is. Hotboy

MM III said...

I say!

Doviko has offered the following doagnosis: "It is buggered."

MM III