Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Not the usual Tuesday either!!

Tuesday 3:50 p.m.
                           After a whole day and night and the next day of not drinking and smoking ... what a wonderful life!! Managed to meditate for about three and a half hour so far. No wonder I've no time for anything. Right now I'm waiting for a phone call from the Domestic Bliss and then we'll be off to the west, so there might not be any time left for meditating after right now.
                          I'm not bothered about the scanner not working right today.  A few desultory efforts were enough. Why sweat it? I've no time to sweat it.
                          I was really pleased to get an email from the consigliere telling me that Alma Mater was ready for Kindle. Don't know why. That's the sixth one, but it really lifted me somehow. I suppose there never was a chance of that getting published anywhere else. I never really tried. I thought I'd leave it when I was about forty and re-write it again when I was about forty five but time passed. I didn't write it for eight hours a day or whatever, but it did take six years out of my writing life which is twice as much as anything else. There are two quotes that go with it.

Newman:  A university is an alma mater, knowing her children one by one, not a foundry, or a mint, or a treadmill

Malcolm Muggeridge, in the resignation speech as University Rector, January 1968. "Yet how infinitely sad; how in a macabre sort of way, funny, that the form their insubordination takes should be a demand for Pot and Pills, for the most tenth rate sort of escapism and self-indulgence ever known.

The bliss today was fantastic! I'm so so pleased that I gave up the jobbie. This is exactly what I need. Lots of time to myself. Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!

2 comments:

rob said...

Newman was never my favourite Seinfeld character.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Never watched it even once! I think Newman might be becoming a saint for turning his coat! Hotboy