Search This Blog

Sunday 1 May 2011

Big Jambo Day!




May Day
               On the first of May I try to remember a friend of mine who killed himself a few years ago now. It was on May Day, 1988 that he and his wife Jeannie took me and the kiddo down to the Samye Ling. I'd never been there before. He also leant me The Autobiography of a Yogi, which was very influential.



The people's flag is deepest red,
It shrouded oft our martyred dead,
And ere their limbs grew stiff and cold,
Their hearts' blood dyed its ev'ry fold.
Then raise the scarlet standard high.
Within its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.
  I've decided to think of today as being a holiday. All I've got to do today is not smoke tobacco. In the evening that might mean taking on some alternatives, but that's okay. Been a good day so far. The Domestic Bliss did her first bits up the allotment, as shown in the last photie. It's up to her for the cabbages, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts. All I have to do now is cut the grass and weed. Hurrah! 
II'

3 comments:

NaNoSkye said...

I'm sorry about your friend. Suicide is the most selfish of things and hurts so many folks for so long.

Yesterday was also Beltane the first day of Pagan summer. A holiday I celebrate by planting.

Things are looking good in your growing space. Mine is not so far along, but the tomatoes in the greenhouse are doing well.

May you have a fruitful summer and a bountiful harvest.

Hotboy said...

Marie! I'm thinking about having to go back to work tomorrow already!! Still, a sunny day to go through first! Hotboy

rob said...

It's helpful to avoid thinking about tomorrow while enjoying today as a holiday. If you died tonight, you'd kick yourself for worrying about a day that never came.